Saturday, May 8, 2010

Steampunk

I love creating steampunk jewelry.  I haven't had the time yet to try something steampunk in paper media but I am sure, in time, this will occur.

The term was first introduced in 1987.  It combines romance and technology and romantic with no fussiness.

Copper and brass are most generally the metals of choice.  Remember there is the use of ink, paints, and  mediums to provide the desired "look" of these metals using paper and other non metal items.

In mixed media you will see a touch of humor with the mixture of romance, technology, time and the Victorian era elements.

Use vintage photos, lace, book pages, ribbon, postage stamps, and maps.  Recycled  leather, nuts, bolts, and vintage drawer hardware.  Monacles, militrary or religious metals, hinges, machine parts, tiny latches, glass, watch parts, skeleton keys, filigree items, beads, chain, etc. 

When using colors stick to blacks, grays, purples and reds.

Nearly all of my pieces go to my sisters' store in Pennsylvania.where they seem to sell well, especially the filigree antique typewriter letter rings.

GO CREATE STEAMPUNK............

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Bend, OR, United States
I have recently started some new artistic journeys. A slight branch in the road from my first love which is painting. I am hoping to combine my painting abilities with a bit of mixed media to stretch my creativity and think outside the box. I am also doing quite a bit of jewelry design and love the steampunk assemblage although I also love creating jewelry using handmade glass lampwork. Hopefully my journey and the information/photos on this blog will inspire others to think outside the box. Please check out my other blog and my Etsy site by going to my website. http://www.dianaputnam.com Thanks for stopping by....

Followers